If you’re feeling run down or noticing changes in your body, it could possibly be related to low testosterone. Testosterone is a hormone responsible for the development of the male body, including muscle growth and sexual drive.
As men age, their levels of testosterone may naturally decline. Clinical studies show low testosterone levels can cause many symptoms, like low energy, decreased sex drive, and difficulty sleeping. But even if you know your testosterone is lower than normal, what do you do next?
Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) may be the answer. TRT is a safe and effective way to restore hormone balance and improve overall health. Men’s Revival can help you make the best decision for your body and lifestyle.
Who Is a Candidate for Testosterone Replacement Therapy?
TRT is typically recommended when a man’s testosterone levels are below the normal range. Low testosterone can be diagnosed with a simple blood test, and your doctor can review the results and make recommendations for TRT if necessary.
If you are experiencing symptoms of low testosterone, your doctor may also consider other factors such as age, medical history, and lifestyle habits like diet and exercise. These can help determine whether TRT is the best option for you.
Besides low testosterone, other factors can also contribute to symptoms of fatigue, low libido, and difficulty focusing. Before beginning TRT, your doctor may use additional tests to rule out any potential underlying medical conditions.
If you’re considering testosterone replacement therapy, your first step should be talking to your healthcare provider. The team at Men’s Revival will provide support throughout the process so you get a comprehensive and personalized approach to your health.
The Benefits of Testosterone Replacement Therapy
When testosterone levels are returned to a healthy range, the benefits of TRT can be significant. Here are some of the potential benefits you may experience after starting treatment:
- Improved sexual function. Testosterone replacement therapy can help increase your libido and improve erectile dysfunction.
- Increased muscle mass. TRT can help build lean muscle mass
- Increased energy and stamina. Many men report greater endurance, focus, and energy after beginning TRT.
- Improved mood. TRT often gives a huge boost to your emotional well-being.
- Improved bone density. As you age, your bones tend to become weaker and more fragile. TRT can help strengthen them, reducing the risk of fractures and other problems.
- Enhanced cognitive function. Low testosterone can lead to depression and memory loss, but TRT can reverse those symptoms and improve mental clarity.
- Better sleep. Testosterone helps regulate the hormones that make getting a good night’s sleep easier.
You don’t have to suffer through your symptoms of low testosterone any longer. No matter your concerns, TRT can help restore balance to your body and provide the relief you need. Men’s Revival is here to assess and treat hormonal imbalances with personalized plans for each patient.
How Testosterone Replacement Therapy Is Administered
Once you and your doctor have determined that TRT is the best option, there are several ways to administer the therapy but certain methods have a much better success rate. Depending on your individual needs, your doctor may or may not use the following methods:
Testosterone can be injected directly into subcutaneous (fat) tissue or into muscle for immediate results. Injections are usually administered twice a week and require an annual visit to the doctors office. Like other types of injections, there may be some mild soreness at the injection site. However, there is generally minimal discomfort.
Gel or Cream
A topical gel containing testosterone can be applied daily and provides a slow release of hormones into the bloodstream. Gels are often preferred due to their convenience and ease of use. Gels or creams are best suited for those who want to avoid injections. You may experience some minor skin irritation at the application site.
The frequency and dosage of testosterone replacement therapy will depend on your needs and should be discussed with your doctor. They can help you determine which method is best for you and guide you on how often you will need treatments to maintain healthy hormone levels.
Potential Risks and Side Effects of Testosterone Replacement
While TRT can be an effective treatment for low testosterone, you should be aware of potential risks and side effects. The most common side effects from testosterone replacement therapy include:
- Cardiovascular risks. Testosterone replacement therapy can increase your risk of heart attack, stroke, or death due to cardiovascular diseases if done improperly or if it is unmonitored. Talk to your doctor if you have a history of heart disease or heart failure or a family history of these conditions.
- Blood clots. Testosterone can increase the risk of blood clots forming in your veins, leading to serious health problems such as deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism, especially if your blood is not being monitored routinely. If you suffer from a history of blood clots or taking medications that could increase the risk of clotting, consult your doctor before beginning TRT.
- Prostate enlargement or cancer. Low testosterone is seen to be one of the largest risk factors for prostate cancer, but old school doctors are still worried about the inherent risk of prostate cancer. There is plenty of data in the research and in practice to show that prostate cancer is not caused by testosterone, but people still worry. The evidence that has been used to support this claim has largely been disputed. Your doctor should still test for prostate cancer before and during treatment using a digital rectal exam and PSA (prostate-specific antigen) blood tests.
- Nipple tenderness: As testosterone goes up, estrogen levels increase as well. Some men have glands that are especially sensitive to estrogen and become sensitive while on TRT. That sensitivity goes away for most within a month or so, and some men need a very small dose of an estrogen blocking medicine called an aromatase inhibitor to prevent sensitivity.
- Mood swings and aggression. Mood benefits on TRT are some of the greatest things people share. However there are cases where too high of testosterone can increase aggression and mood swings by triggering an imbalance in your hormone levels. This is typically mild and only occurs in rare cases, but you should talk to your doctor if you experience any changes in behavior.
Not everyone will experience the same side effects when taking testosterone replacement therapy. Your doctor can help you weigh the benefits and risks to determine if TRT is right for you.
Testosterone Replacement Therapy and Fertility
Testosterone replacement therapy is an effective treatment for low testosterone, but it can also have a negative effect on fertility in men. Low levels of testosterone can lead to reduced sperm production and reproductive difficulty.
Fortunately, options are available to preserve fertility while still receiving the benefits of TRT. One option is to freeze your sperm before beginning treatment. This allows you to have a viable sample of your sperm available should you decide to have children in the future. Your doctor may also recommend a combination of medications, such as HCG injections and enclomiphene, to help you maintain or increase sperm production while on or off of TRT if fertility is your goal.
Testosterone replacement therapy in Scottsdale, AZ, is an effective treatment for low testosterone levels. It can help improve symptoms associated with andropause, such as fatigue, depression, and irritability. However, discussing the potential risks and side effects of TRT with your doctor before starting any treatment is important.
Men’s Revival can help you find the best treatment options for your individual needs. Our team of experts can provide you with the information and resources you need to make an informed decision about testosterone replacement therapy. Contact us today to learn how TRT can improve your quality of life.